Tuesday 29 December 2015

McEwan: Sweet Tooth (CBS Interview)

"My name is Serena Frome (rhymes with plume) and almost 40 years ago, I was sent on a secret mission for the British security service. I didn't return safely. Within 18 months of joining, I was sacked, having disgraced myself and ruined my lover, though he certainly had a hand in his own undoing"

(Opening line)

Sweet Tooth is a sort of "spy" novel, set in England in the early 1970s, which is also (or mainly) a book on books & literature. And of course, another must for McEwan fan(atic)s.

"I was the basest of readers. All I wanted was my own  world, and myself in it, given back to me in artful shapes and accesible form".

"I turned the pages so fast. And I suppose I was, in my mindless way, looking for something, a version of myself, a heroine I could slip inside as one might a pair of favorite shoes."

Here is the audio of an interview with Ian McEwan on Sweet Tooth (from 2012). By Eleanor Watchtel (Writers and Company, CBS, Toronto)

No comments:

Post a Comment